Ok, ladies, it's that time of year when holiday goodies are presented at every corner. If Adam and Eve thought they had temptations with only one tree of good and evil, imagine the them facing the temptations we face today! Chocolate cake, pumpkin pie, creamy gravy, buttery sauces, fried foods, rich delicacies, and yummy egg nog are just a few of the many temptations of the holidays.
For over 14 years, I have had the privilege of coaching men and women to focus beyond the temptations and live a life of power, mental strength, and true freedom in the area of health and fitness. You don't have to spend thousands of dollars on gym equipment or a membership. You don't have to starve yourself to fit into that size 8 dress. And you certainly don't have to allow your emotions to continually send you into a spiral this time of year.
You are a powerful woman beneath the layers of insecurity and EMwomen was created to help you shed the "old you" so that the REAL YOU can emerge.
Denise Gerrich, one of the EMwomen I have been coaching, has had tremendous success with the life changes she has experienced since being a member of EMwomen. Recently she posted a blog of some of the tips we have shared with her that have enabled her to lose over 87 pounds in just 6 short months.
Read these tips and let them inspire you to be your best this holiday season. Although most people will add up to five pounds over the holidays, you can make better choices that set you up to starting 2009 already ahead of the game.
12 Tips For Losing Weight This Christmas!
1. Eat before you go to parties to avoid hunger during hours of temptation. If your tummy is full going into the party it will be easier to pass up those foods that are high in fat and loaded with empty calories.
2. If you get to bring something to the party, bring a dish you know you can eat that is low in fat and good for you. Veggie trays are a great snack option or be brave and make an EMcafe recipe as a main dish. They are all under 10 grams of fat and taste great! (Stay tuned in 2009 for new, EMlicious recipes to be posted!)
3. Water, Water, Water! Drink water instead of the fruity, sugary punches or alcoholic beverages. And AVOID EGG NOG at all costs. (Remember that your body needs to take in 1/2 of your body weight in ounces of water each day. So if you weigh 180 pounds, you should be drinking at least 90 ounces each day.)
4. Carry a protein bar or shake with you to give you a hunger fix if needed.
5. Don't overeat! Think portion control. If it can't fit into the palm of your hand, your portion is too much. This goes for nuts, fruit, servings, etc.
6. Be conscious of your fat, sugar, and calorie intake. Know what you are eating. Don't assume the food you are eating is good for you. If you are at a restaurant, be sure to ask for their nutritional information. You will be AMAZED at what you are really eating when you eat out! For example: One tuna salad sandwich at Subway is 42 grams of fat or more! YIKES! Make sure you are making wise choices.
7. Watch out for "energy comas". This is when you eat so much you feel lethargic. Avoid this by refusing to overeat! (Avoid going back for seconds.)
8. At parties, choose to use the smaller plate and then wait 30 minutes before you refill.
9. Cook light (use skim milk, whole wheat flour, fat free creams, egg whites, etc.)
10. Stay on your exercise routine. It's easy to slack off in the holidays and let "busyness" dominate your goals. Keep consistent and stay the course! (Brisk walks, runs, etc.)
11. Continue to maintain an attitude of gratitude and a mindset of hope, cheer, and peace. Stress is a MAJOR roadblock to living your best life, as well as losing weight and keeping it off. Avoid allowing restlessness, anxiety, frustration, and conflict to permeate your thoughts. The challenge to live your best life begins with your mind. It is more important than anything you eat or any exercise routine you may endeavor. "Whatsoever a man thinks in his heart, so is he." "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind."
12. Pray Often…Be Merciful to others and let your life be a light of hope to your family. Being able to give and spread hope and cheer is a fantastic way to bring greater peace to your spirit. Give without strings attached. Find joy, real joy, in the spirit of giving this Christmas!
I look forward to hearing your results. Together, we are EMerging into the women of destiny we were created to be! Merry Christmas!